This easy egg salad recipe is the perfect make-ahead dish for breakfast on toast, for lunch in a wrap, lettuce wrap, over salad or a slice of bread. Sometimes I just eat it with a spoon right out of the fridge!
Best Egg Salad Recipe
I meal prep a batch of this egg salad practically every week! It’s such an easy, affordable, high-protein and great for breakfast or lunch. Make an egg salad sandwich on toast, a bagel, in lettuce wraps or eat it with a spoon! I make a batch of Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs (the shells come off so easy) or Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs, or you can use this stove top Hard Boiled Eggs method.
Why This Works
- Budget Friendly: Making it from scratch saves even more money!
- Easy: Just boil the eggs, peel and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Make Ahead: Make it once for meals to eat throughout the week.
- Fast: Takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- Fits many dietary restrictions: gluten-free, low-carb, high protein, keto friendly
This simple salad has only 7 ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need!
- Boiled Eggs: Use large eggs, preferably Organic and humanely raised if your budget allows.
- Mayo: You can use regular or light mayo. If following Whole30 if you use compliant mayonnaise such homemade or this mayo by Primal Kitchen.
- Scallions or Chives finely chopped
- Spices: Sweet paprika, salt, black pepper
How To Make Egg Salad
- Start by boiling the eggs. You can do this on the stove, instant pot or even the air fryer!
- Once cooked, run them under cold water and peel the eggs.
- Use an egg slice or a knife and chop the cooked eggs.
- Combine the cooked eggs in a bowl with mayonnaise, red or green onion, salt, pepper and stir, and garnish with paprika.
- Eat right away or refrigerate until ready to eat.
What Do You Put In Your Egg Salad?
I keep my salad pretty simple, a little mayonnaise, red onion, salt, pepper, paprika and some chives, for garnish. Here’s some variations:
- Add pickle juice or diced pickles for extra flavor
- Swap half the mayo for Greek yogurt to make it lighter
- Include some veggies like chopped celery or carrots for texture
- Add some Dijon mustard for flavor
- Add some extra protein such as diced cooked shrimp, it’s delish!
- Substitute red onion for scallions
- Swap the chives for other fresh herbs like fresh dill or fresh parsley
- Try adding a few capers
Ways To Serve
- Make a sandwich on your favorite bread or bagel
- Serve it in a lettuce wrap or tortilla
- Serve it over lettuce and garden vegetables
- Eat it with a spoon!
This will last in the refrigerator in an airtight container 4 to 5 days.
More Hard Boiled Egg Recipes
Healthy Egg Salad Recipe
Combine all the ingredients and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo Credit: Jess Larson